Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 2002 12:22:50 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, audit@FreeBSD.ORG, Alexander Litvin <archer@whichever.org>, Andriy Gapon <agapon@excite.com>
Subject:   Re: Thread-safe resolver [patches for review]

Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> I also would like to hear from you whether or not you think that we
> need all those gethostbyXXX_r(3) functions.

Yes.  Because autoconf looks for them and will assume non-reentrancy if
they are not present.  Also, for source compatability with linux and
solaris and just about everything else that implements this stuff.  The
expectation is that gethostbyXXX is non-safe and that gethostbyXXX_r is
safe.  If you can make the non_r versions safe then that is a bonus I guess.

Cheers,
-Peter