Date:      Sun, 03 May 1998 02:50:43 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /etc/issue - like behaviour (Was: FreeBSD Questions)

Responding to my own post since I found out some good news, at least on
the telnetd side. :)

Studded wrote:

> Dan Nelson wrote:

> > >       I have a couple questions related to this. For one, the /etc/issue
> > > question comes up often, is there any way to hack getty to allow the im
> > > field to specify a file?  I am sure this would be a welcome addition.
> >
> > check out the "if" field.
>
>         OK, that is useful as far as it goes (which is only as far as console
> logins).

	Well it turns out that the telnetd in current was hacked to make this
work. :) That's the only diff between the -current and -stable version,
and it works just fine patched into -stable with one exception. The file
is printed with a stairstep effect because of a missing \r in both
branches. My friend patched utility.c to fix the problem. I submitted a
PR with it, bin/6492.

	I'd appreciate it greatly if someone would take a look a that PR and
commit it to both -Current (the utility.c fix) and -Stable (both).

Thanks,

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud designer and maintainer of the world's largest Internet