Date:      Tue, 25 Aug 2009 11:34:27 +0200
From:      Michel Talon <talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADUP] FreeBSD Gecko's TODO and plan for future

Andrew Reilly wrote:

> I've stopped using portupgrade in favour of portmaster, but I
> don't see a ready equivalent to this with portmaster, hence my
> dumb script.  In particular, I don't think that portmaster can
> combine the -r and -x flags (depend and exclude), and when I've
> done -f -r in combination before, then it seems to build the
> entire transitive closure of dependencies, rather than just the
> immediate ones.
>
> Hence my question about a tool to manipulate the dependency
> graph as a graph...

You can always play with
http://www.lpthe.jussieu.fr/~talon/pkgupgrade
which, i think, is a lot easier to hack than portupgrade, and includes,
like portupgrade, a dependency graph computation. Beware that there is
not a unique way to compute the upgrade order, so you cannot be sure to
get an optimal way. In a few words, the problem is to get a total order
on a set of ports compatible with a partial order given by dependency.
There is always such a total order, but it is not unique.

--

Michel TALON