Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 10:23:56 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        Pedro Giffuni <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
Cc:        Aaron Smith <aaron@veritas.com>, Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Feasibility of porting Linux filesystem code?

On Thu, 17 Apr 1997, Pedro Giffuni wrote:

> > John H. is packaging some utok stuff for me written for SunOS for use in
> > out of kernel development.  We might have to do a custom ktou and
> > transport layer to use it.  They used NFS for the transport layer in their
> > Ficus project, but it depends on a userland NFS server to work.
>
> > We will also have to do some kernel api emulation.  I'll have to talk to
> > John Dyson and others to see if that is even feasible for all the calls
> > the fs code needs to make.
>
> I didn't know about that, he said he had replaced the SUN specific
> things...are the additional APIs SYSV-like ?  FreeBSD 3.0 is turning out
> to be very sysv like this days.

The SYSV-like stuff you are referring to is mostly in what's exposed
externally.

In kernel code it's natural to have OS specific API's.  To do an
out-of-kernel fs layer for FreeBSD I will have to identify all the FreeBSD
API calls that are required in fs code and see if we can emulate them.  It
might be difficult to emulate some of the semantics.

The vnode interface in FreeBSD is designed to be extensible, it is
different from the SYSV vnode interface derived from the SunOS
implementation which is fixed.

Regards,

Mike