Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2000 15:37:39 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        "Dale E. Chulhan" <dchulhan@uwi.tt>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Best NIC / Best CDR-CDRW

On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Dale E. Chulhan wrote:

> Hello I'm opening my self for suggestions on recommendations for the following
> for use on my bsd machine:
>
> 1) a cdr/cdrw

Yamaha or Plextor.  I've had nothing but success with both our Yamaha
4260S and our newer 6416S (both SCSI).  Plextor has always made good
CDROM readers, and CDR/CDRW writers.  I've also had no problems with a
much older HP CD writer we have, but I've also heard of newer HP
drives suddenly and mysteriously creating nothing but coasters.

> 2) a NIC
>
> Can you also indicate the lowest release that supports your
> recommendation if possible.
>
> The following is a brief exchange between me and a counter part,
> what is your suggestion?
>
> He said:
> ========
> forget the expenive rubbish 3Com makes- they don't work well under
> windows and barely works under linux...

I couldn't agree more. Stay away from 3COM. :-)

> your best bet is the the generic NE2000 cards, you kno the cheap  ones for
> $125.00 (TT) you get the full 10MB per second out of them-  also you can get a
> cheap 8 port hub for about $400.00 (TT)

Most NE2000 cards do work well, but they are certainly not the best
performing things you'll find.

> I countered:
> ============
> 1) Get Intel / 3Com if money's no objective "They're just as bad as cisco
> routers"

The Intel EtherExpress PRO 10/100 family (anything based on the 82558B
or 82559) is probably the best 10/100 NIC you can find for FreeBSD.
I'm also using this card family with several hundred Windows systems
here, and have had zero trouble.

> 2) Get either Realtek or DEC Tulip

Realtek?  Ugh.  Complete crap.  I've never used a DEC Tulip based
card, but I've always heard good reports about them.

> 3) Avoid the VIA Rhine chipset as they crumble under heavy loads

Can't comment on these, I've never used them.

> 4) what about the NE2000 based cards? They're cheap, and they
> work. Good enough for me :-) NE2K's are turd plain and simple
> dinosaurs from the ISA stone age they work, that's all

Most NE2000 cards will work fine, but some are just plain crap.  I
cured an odd Windows networked database application problem by
removing a cheap NE2000 and replacing it with an Intel NIC, if that is
any indication.  However, of all the different NE2000 clones I've
used, I've had pretty good luck with the Kingston models (which,
ironically, are based on a Realtek chipset).

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures. ( http://www.freebsd.org )