Date:      Mon, 7 Nov 2016 20:35:57 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        Brad Davis <brd@FreeBSD.org>, FreeBSD Toolchain <freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: http://pkg.freebsd.org only has freebsd:11:aarch64:64 for aaarch64? How to boostrap aarch64 pkg for head (12-CURRENT)?

11-CURRENT: http://pkg.freebsd.org shows only
>=20
> Correct.  I wrote up some details on how to use the 11 packages here:
>=20
> http://www.raspbsd.org/raspberrypi.html
>=20
>=20
> Regards,
> Brad Davis

Thanks. That helped me get to the next issue to figure out.

I eventually found that https://wiki.freebsd.org/arm64/rpi3 has a =
"Package Repo" section with the alternate ABI information for pkg and =
also how to get port builds going (putting an ld in place) --as if the =
material was RPI3 specific. https://wiki.freebsd.org/arm64/rpi3 says:

> There is no package repo for 12-CURRENT, but the package repo for 11 =
can be used on 12-CURRENT by telling pkg to use the FreeBSD 11 aarch64 =
ABI:=20
>=20
> env ABI=3DFreeBSD:11:aarch64 pkg bootstrap
>=20
> Once pkg is bootstrapped, you can add this to /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf:=20=

>=20
> ABI =3D "FreeBSD:11:aarch64";
>=20
> If you want to build your own ports or packages, you'll need to =
install the aarch64-binutils package and link /usr/bin/ld to =
/usr/local/bin/aarch64-freebsd-ld:=20
>=20
> # pkg install aarch64-binutils
> # ln /usr/local/bin/aarch64-freebsd-ld /usr/bin/ld
>=20
> Note that if you're building directly on the RPI3, you will definitely =
want to use either USB storage or NFS. Building on the sdcard will =
likely wear the sdcard out.=20

(I have the root filesystem on a USB SSD.)

My context is a Pine64+ 2GB --which https://wiki.freebsd.org/arm64 does =
not even mention as covered by TARGET_ARCH=3Daarch64 . But crochet is =
set up for pine64's and uses TARGET_ARCH=3Daarch64 style builds.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net