Date:      Mon, 06 Jul 1998 17:09:13 -0400
From:      Michael Graziano <ti99-4a@juno.com>
To:        Tony Holmes <tony@crosswinds.net>, Freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Load related wd problem

Tony Holmes wrote:[Snip]

> My systems range from 2.2.1 to 2.2.6 (with some stable patches thrown in)
> and provide a myriad of services, but I have only recently been able to
> verify the existence of a problem with heavy access to IDE disks.
>
> When the IDE disks are under heavy load, they will take down the system with
> no warning.  This occurs across all versions - it find it easy to duplicate
> the problem - on a web server, while the http server is up, I will do some
> custom processing on the log files (cat, grepping, etc.) which hits the IDE
> disks hard.  After a time (usually after 10-15 minutes) the system hangs
> and can only be rescued with a hard reset.
>
> I've seen the same effect on a system set up as a Squid proxy with 2 ide
> drives - loggings to one disk and caching on the other, where my peak
> wd interrupt rates reach 150-200/sec - this machine will hang after
> anywhere between 1.5 hours and 2 days of uptime.

This is a problem with the IDE Interface, which to be blunt sucks :)The best
sollution to this would be to simply replace the IDE drives with SCSI drives,
especially in the Squid proxy, which will be taking heavy load (Short-term this
may seem more expensive, but in the long term it is worth the additional speed
and uptime.)

> If it makes any difference, I use Seagate IDE disks on all my systems.

Well I personally don't like seagate, but that's just my opinion :)

> Unfortunately, due to the nature of the crash and my limited resources,
> I cannot isolate the problem further, but am very curious as to whether
> or not anyone else has seen similar problems?

In any system I have where an IDE drive sees heavy loads, it winds up slowing me
down.  If you want to salvage your old IDE Disks, use them as boot drives or
swap space (Or sell them off :))

>                                                 Tony Holmes
>
>                                                 Senior Sysadmin

(Senior Sysadmin is basicly a term which means "Guy who gets blamed when the
computer does something it wasn't supposed to", right? )

>                                                 Crosswinds Internet
>                                                 Communications Inc.

-Mike
mikeg@hoflink.com