Date:      Thu, 05 Nov 1998 23:31:42 -0800
From:      Eric Hake <eric@clean.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Minimalist FreeBSD box

Greetings!

I would like to get some advise on setting up a freebsd box with the
following config:

  - Boots from CD-ROM
  - Get's it's config files '/etc' from an IDE NVRAM drive or Flash drive

I will acquire a CD-R shortly (I'm open to suggestions on which CD-R to buy
too :)

I would like to get help in what I need to do to make a CD-ROM bootable
like the Live Filesystem, but with only the bare minimums:

   pppd
   natd
   fwtk

etc...  It'll be a headless box used to support a dial-out ppp session,
with NAT on it to work as a front end for a low-speed link to the Internet.
 No frills, and for a max. of 3-4 client machines with very low traffic...

Thanks!
 Eric