Date:      Wed, 18 Dec 2002 09:45:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      "J. Seth Henry" <jshenry@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel EtherExpress Pro 100 w/ WOL

The Wake on Lan functionality operates below the operating system level.
It's actually a signal to the mainboard that simulates the power button
(though it can only turn a system "ON" as far as I know). This feature
should work fine for any system whose BIOS supports it, though I can't
imagine turning a *BSD system off? ;)

The onboard management stuff is a mixed bag. Some of that is just renamed
functionality (it has a boot NVRAM that can be programmed through the
card, etc). Other things, like the ProSet software is windows only. Even
so, it's still a good card. The controller chip on that card is widely
used on motherboards that have integrated ethernet, so it enjoys
widespread support by practically every PC operating system.

Regards,
Seth Henry