Date:      Sun, 22 Sep 2013 13:57:52 GMT
From:      Gabor Berczi <gabucino@gabucino.be>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/182297: ArcNet driver fails to detect the link address - and does not work at all

>Number:         182297
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       ArcNet driver fails to detect the link address - and does not work at all
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD vohaul 8.4-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 8.4-RELEASE-p4 #0: Sat Sep 21 11:02:36 CEST 2013     root@i386:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/ipx  i386

Driver output:

> cm0 at port 0x2e0-0x2ef iomem 0xd0000-0xd07ff irq 5 on isa0
> cm0: [ITHREAD]
> cm0: link addr 0xf5 (245)

The problem is, the card's address is not 0xF5.

The detection would take place in dev/cm/smc90cx6.c (cm_attach):
>         linkaddress = GETMEM(CMMACOFF); // CMMACOFF is 1
In fact, not only the offset 1, but any offset I read is "0xF5". This leads me to think there could be some breakage around memory handling.

smc90cx6var.h:
> #define GETMEM(off)                                                     \
>        bus_space_read_1(rman_get_bustag((sc)->mem_res),                \
>                         rman_get_bushandle((sc)->mem_res),             \
>                         (off))

The card otherwise works fine in DOS and Linux (both can read the link address correctly).
I also tried with another card, same model. It made no difference. Also tried setting the card to actually have 0xf5 link address, but it still didn't work.

>How-To-Repeat:
Try to use it.