Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 1997 02:34:51 +0100 (MET)
From:      Roger Espel Llima <espel@llaic.univ-bpclermont.fr>
To:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hackers-digest V3 #36

> I am curious about the up and comming GNU 2.0 libc. Since the BSD's have
> their own libc will you be replacing yours with the GNU one? Not that I
> like GNU to much (it seams to be becomming the Microsoft of the free
> software world) but it would save a lot of developement time if you
> didn't have to worry about your own library. Since this the GNU libc
> will be used by Linux it would be hard to go wrong. FreeBSD would be
> using the same libc are it's chief competitor. FreeBSD would then only
> have the userland commands to deal with, since Linux of course has GNU
> maintaining those.

Not only the userland commands -- what about the kernel?

I don't really think FreeBSD should change to a completely different
libc; the GNU libc has some very nice features (reentrancy...) but a
system's libc is usually very closely tied to the kernel, so it's good
that the same team (or almost...) develops both, as is the case with
FreeBSD.

> I hate GNU binutils.

Really?  GNU binutils are gcc, gas, ld and other related commands (nm,
objdump...).  Are you sure you don't mean GNU fileutils?  (ls, cp, rm
and all those).  I personally like the GNU fileutils and their BSD
equivalents pretty much the same.

> The next question is. Is the GNU libc 2.0 being ported? I saw that
> someone was doing a port for BSDI2.0, is this not the same as FreeBSD?

A port for BSDi could probably be adapted very easily for FreeBSD.  Even
if it isn't used as the default libc, a port is always a good thing...

> I am very interested the GNU libc 2.0 for its posix threads and the fact
> that it is rentrant (which it has to be of course for threads). What is
> the status of kernel-threads in FreeBSD? I heard that you where getting
> there.

Current kernels already support rfork(), which should be the basis for
kernel threads just like clone() is under Linux.

> Since you have linux compatibility (except for clone() right?) would it
> not be possible to just use the GNU libc 2.0 the way it is? Does it ever
> have to be ported? I am sure Linux will always have presidence with GNU
> anyway. This of course looks really bad since eventually freebsd will
> have linux's kernel calls. But think about it. It is only externel, just
> as the GNU libc is externel. Is FreeBSD BSD without the BSD libc? Good
> question.

That just means that when Linux starts using GNU libc 2.0 (aka Linux
libc 6.0), FreeBSD's linux compatibility libc will be changed to a copy
of it.  That isn't the one BSD commands use though, obviously.

	Roger
--
e-mail: roger.espel.llima@ens.fr
WWW page & PGP key: http://www.eleves.ens.fr:8080/home/espel/index.html