Date:      Sat, 15 Feb 2003 17:09:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        marius@alchemy.franken.de
Cc:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>, current@FreeBSD.org, Mike Makonnen <mtm@identd.net>
Subject:   Re: named & chroot & rcNG & devfs

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 marius@alchemy.franken.de wrote:

> /etc/rc.d/named is quite bogus, especially when it comes to running bind
> chrooted.

Correct. I'm working on an improved method of dealing with this.

> E.g. /dev/null isn't needed by bind8 at all

Incorrect. /dev/null is needed for bind 8. /dev/null and /dev/random are
needed for bind 9. Depending on what you're doing, /dev/random is probably
a good idea for bind 8 as well.

> On the other hand shared libraries are needed (or a port that
> supports linking bind statically...)

cd /usr/ports/net/bind[89]
make clean
make CFLAGS+=-static -DPORT_REPLACES_BASE_BIND8
make install

Doug

--

    "The last time France wanted more evidence, it rolled right
        through Paris with a German flag." - David Letterman