Date:      Mon, 08 May 1995 18:32:00 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@haven.uniserve.com>
Cc:        Scott Mace <smace@metal-mail.neosoft.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Is a 486 fast enough for SCSI?

>On Mon, 8 May 1995, Scott Mace wrote:
>
>> >   I've got a AMD486DX4100 with an Adaptec 2940 and two SCSI drives.  When
>> > I run iozone on one drive I get about 1.9MB/s, but when I run a iozone on
>> > each drive I get about .9 MB/s (roughly half).  Since the SCSI bus runs
>> > at 10MB/s per second, the limiting factor appears to be the CPU?  I
>> > thought PCI devices required very little CPU time?
>> >

>> The limiting time is the speed of the drive.  I can get over 3megs/sec
>> with my EISA bt747 and seagate barracuda drives.  And my cpu is only
>> a 486DX2-66.  I'm never seen a single scsi drive actually do 10MB/sec.
>
>  I realize that no SCSI drive can do 10MB/s, but it is clearly not the
>bottleneck when accessing two drives simultaneously, so what is?
>
>Tom

I'm not sure since I don't have the same hardware.  On my 2742 card, with
a Quantum Empire 2100 and a Quantum PD1225 running "iozone 128 8192":

Empire 2100 with the 1225 also doing an iozone:

        3491843 bytes/second for writing the file
        3106667 bytes/second for reading the file

Emprire 2100 by itself.
        4900133 bytes/second for writing the file
        5204443 bytes/second for reading the file

The first set of number looks a little low, but I'd have to play around
with some of the bus timing numbers to get a better idea of just how bad
they are.  It isn't a 50% reduction though.
--
Justin T. Gibbs
TCS Instructional Group - Programmer/Analyst 1