Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 2002 09:10:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/40834: New port: net/linux-jigdo

The following reply was made to PR ports/40834; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Cc: udo.schweigert@siemens.com
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 18:00:33 +0200 (CEST)

 Hello,

 ports/40834 contains a port of Jigsaw Download (jigdo) with the following

 "This is a port for the jigdo software, the new method of the Debian
 project to distribute their images. As I have a debian mirror on a FreeBSD
 machine I needed that to generate the debian 3.0 iso images here.

 The sources of jigdo are available but do not work out of the box, so I
 decided to go with the static binaries in linux-emulation."

 I have only three objections regarding this:
 1. jigdo isn't a new method of the Debian project to distribute their
    images. It's a third party software (developed by Richard Atterer)
    which works for *any* file (can be used most effectively when the given
    file isn't compressed, like ISO9660 images, DVD images, large tar
    files, etc).
 2. the sources of jigdo compiles and works out of the box. (not counting
    FreeBSD 5-CURRENT, where it needs GCC 2.95, because the program does
    not yet compile with GCC 3.1)
    I think running it in linux-emu is waste of resources.
 3. in the knowledge of the above, I have submitted a port which compiles
    on FreeBSD 4-STABLE and FreeBSD 5-CURRENT, and can reconstruct .jigdo
    files.

 The PR is: ports/40954

 Thanks,
 --------[ Free Software ISOs - ftp://ftp.fsn.hu/pub/CDROM-Images/ ]-------