Date:      Wed, 24 May 2006 14:21:37 -0400
From:      "David Robillard" <david.robillard@gmail.com>
Cc:        Noah <admin2@enabled.com>, Chad Leigh <chad@shire.net>
Subject:   Re: Implementing IMAP advice for first timer.

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 29
> Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 19:23:47 -0800
> From: "Noah" <admin2@enabled.com>
> Subject: Implementing IMAP advice for first timer
> To: "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
>
> FreeBSD-4.11
>
> Well I want to get IMAP running on my FreeBSD box and would like to have =
> safe, non service-interrupting strategy to implementing it.  I am leaning
> toward installing cyrus imapd.  I have some questions about how to get th=
ings
> working.
>
> 1)=09Can somebody please recommend a good FAQ about how-to get IMAP runni=
ng my
> FreeBSD machine?

I'm actually writing a step-by-step guide on how I installed
Sendmail+TLS+SASL+Cyrus-IMAP. The document is still at a very early
beta stage, but it could help you out. Tell me if you'd be interested.
Meanwhile, take a look at the following ports which I used in my
setup:

mail/cyrus-imapd23
security/cyrus-sasl2
security/cyrus-sasl2-saslauthd
mail/sendmail

Note that mail/sendmail is listed here because to have a TLS/SSL and
SASLAUTH enabled sendmail daemon, you need to recompile it.

> 2)=09Are there things I should be aware of before I start the process?

You should be confortable with the configuration of Sendmail and with
the use of OpenSSL. I would also recommend to try your setup on a test
machine rather then your production environment.

> 3)=09I don't completely understand how IMAP works =96 is there a good tut=
orial
> about this subject?

Read the documentation that comes with the cyrus-IMAP port. You can
also read the Cyrus-IMAP Wiki at http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/twiki/
But to understand "how IMAP works", then read the relevant RFC which
you can find a list here http://www.imap.org/biblio.html

> 4)=09I don't completely understand how local mail delivery will change =
=96 is
> there a good tutorial about this subject?
>
> This is not exactly true.  If you switch to Cyrus from something
> else, you will have to  make sure that your mail is delivered to
> Cyrus instead if however it was being done before (local mbox or
> maildir for example).  I have not run Cyrus in many years but they
> had their own delivery agent that your local mail agent (mda/mta like
> sendmail, exim, etc) would hand off to.  Has this changed or does it
> still work that way?

Yes, that is still how it works. When installing mail/cyrus-imapd23
you need to change your sendmail configuration to change your MAILER
from `local' to `cyrusv2'.

Regards,

David

--=20