Date:      Tue, 05 Dec 2017 18:10:46 +0100
From:      Harry Schmalzbauer <freebsd@omnilan.de>
To:        Lars Engels <lars.engels@0x20.net>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>, freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bhyve. Unable install Windows 7/Server 2008R2

 Bezüglich Lars Engels's Nachricht vom 05.12.2017 17:57 (localtime):
> On Tue, Dec 05, 2017 at 04:49:45AM -0800, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>>   For win7/2k8*, the sector size presented to the guest has to be forced
>>> to 512 bytes i.e. for the ahci-cd slot, the config would look like:
>>>
>>>   -s 3,ahci-hd,/dev/zvol/my_zroot/VM/img/win7/disk0,sectorsize=512
>> Should we start a wiki page on "Guest Quirks"?
> Please do.

I'd vote for making ,"sectorsize=512/4096" a artificial default.
I'm not entire sure about the different Windows versions, but since
BHYVE_UEFI.fd isn't able to access drives other than 512b sector size, I
think it doesn't make sense to provide 8k drives by default in case of
default ZFS volume.
If I remember correctly Win6.3 (8.1/Server2k12) did support 4k and 8k
native drives, with the limitation that "windows internal database -
mssql" might not be usable, but I couldn't UEFI boot unless I changed
sectrosize to 512 and stripezesize to 4k/8k.
I guess not may other operating systems support bigger sector sizes as
well as FreeBSD does today.
So this artifical format might be what most times makes most sense.

-harry