Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 00:45:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        doconnor@gsoft.com.au (Daniel O'Connor)
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, dpilgrim@uswest.net, crh@outpost.co.nz
Subject:   Re: SETI@home has teams now!

Daniel O'Connor wrote,

> On 25-May-99 Crist J. Clark wrote:
> >  Is there a reason not to use setiathome's '-nice' switch and just nice
> >  it to a low priority? I think that would be good enough for most
> >  people. Also, I believe idpro requires root privileges; nice does
> >  not. I'd rather not use root when I don't need to.
>
> I run it like this ->
> idprio ${seti_nice} su -m ${seti_user} -c \
> "(cd ${seti_wrkdir}/${i} && exec ${PREFIX}/bin/setiathome -email 2>&1 >/dev/null
> &)"

This reminds me...                                           ^^^^^

Does the '-email' switch work properly for everyone else? When I was
having the 'connection timed out' errors this weekend, I was getting
them in cron emails generated from stderr output. From the
README/manpage for setiathome,

    -email
        Send email (to login email address) on errors.
        Useful if you run in background directed to /dev/null.

I've never gotten mail from setiathome.