Date:      Wed, 24 Feb 1999 11:52:38 -0600 (CST)
From:      Oscar Bonilla <obonilla@fisicc-ufm.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, kirk_noonan@bigfoot.com
Subject:   Re: Volume Full???

> Dear Mr. Friendly Newbie-Helper,
>     I keep getting a message that my "/" volume aka /dev/wd0s2a is full. =
> As a matter of fact, it is at an amazing 109% of capacity. My swap =
> volume always shows 200 MB of free space, and the other volumes (/usr =
> /var ...) also have plenty of empty space. What and, more importantly, =
> where should I look to find the things which are filling it? I have =
> looked through the /temp directory, and there isn't that much there. I =
> started getting the messages after compiling a lot of programs is there =
> an output directory or something?
>
> Thanks for your help -- again.
> Kirk Noonan

to fill a filesystem over 100% you have to be root, so i would look for
a priviledged process...

as for swap, i think that has nothing to do with it.

to empty root (/), use the following command:

$ rm -rf /          :) wait!!!! better see what's there first!!!

ok, seriously, don't do that, use the following command:

$ du -sk * | sort -rn | head

that'll show you what directories are occupying the most space. cd to the
top dir and do the same until you find some nonimportant files to erase.

be warned... you have to know what you're removing... don't remove random
files without knowing what they serve for as you can easily render your
system unusable this way.

regards,

-oscar