Date:      Fri, 07 Nov 1997 15:51:22 -0800
From:      Gary Piercey <gpiercey@morgan.ucs.mun.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        gpiercey@morgan.ucs.mun.ca
Subject:   Year 2000 Compliance of FreeBSD

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have been given the task of evaluating the potential problems that
will face us here at Memorial University with respect to personal
computers.

We have some users running FreeBSD on campus and I need to know if the
date problem exists in FreeBSD?  How is the date and time represented?
Is it the same as Linux in that the time and date is represented as the
number of seconds elapsed since January 1, 1970?  What type of problems
will we face when the date rolls over to Year 2000?  I couldn't find the
answers to these questions on the WWW page so I hope you can provide me
with an answer.  My deadline is approaching fast so a prompt reply would
be much appreciated.

Thank you for your help.

Gary Piercey
Systems Consultant
Department of Computing & Communications
Memorial University of Newfoundland