Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2003 11:43:31 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Tillman <tillman@seekingfire.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Migrating vinum plexes to a new volume

--dTy3Mrz/UPE2dbVg

On Tuesday, 18 March 2003 at 14:07:49 -0600, Tillman wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 10:04:24AM +1030, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>> On Monday, 17 March 2003 at 15:00:55 -0600, Tillman wrote:
>>
>> What you want to do is to remove the plexes iso2.p[01], and attach
>> their subdisks to iso.p[01].  That will increase the size of those
>> plexes to 5.5GB.  Then run growfs.
>
> I seem to have run into a "device busy" problem. Here's what I've done:
>
> [root@athena root]# mount | grep iso2
> (no output - volume iso2 is not mounted)
>
> [root@athena root]# vinum
> vinum -> stop iso2
> vinum -> lv iso2
> V iso2                  State: down     Plexes:       2 Size:       1500MB
> vinum -> rm iso2
> Can't remove iso2: Device busy (16)

This means that it has plexes attached.

> vinum -> stop iso2.p0
> vinum -> stop iso2.p1
> Can't stop iso2.p1: Device busy (16)

This means that stopping the plex would take the volume down.  You
need -f here.

> vinum -> ls iso2.p0.s0
> S iso2.p0.s0            State: down     PO:        0  B Size:       1500 MB
> vinum -> ls iso2.p1.s0
> S iso2.p1.s0            State: up       PO:        0  B Size:       1500 MB
> vinum -> stop iso2.p1.s0
> Can't stop iso2.p1.s0: Device busy (16)

Same here.

> I don't appear to be able to stop the other half of the mirror in
> order to be able to successfully rm the volume and the plexes. I
> haven't tried the -f option due to dire warnings in the man page ;-)

Well, it will cause lack of availability to take it down.  I think
that's reasonable.  The point is that taking iso2.p0 down doesn't make
the data unavailable, so there should be a difference between the two.

> My current train of thought is that the mirror is still "active" in
> some sense, and thus vinum is protecting the mirroring when I want
> to stop both halves of it.

Correct.

> The manual says "By default, vinum does not stop active objects."
> However, I don't know what would be making it active - it's not
> mounted and I seem to be unable to stop all of the volumes
> subordinate objects.

I suppose it's a judgment call.  Anyway, the way to get rid of iso2
is:

 vinum -> rm -rf iso2

Greg

--dTy3Mrz/UPE2dbVg