Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 1996 19:22:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   system running with DEVFS

Hi...

	I don't know if anyone is actually using devfs yet, as mounted
onto /dev, but this afternoon I decided to try, and after some minor
modifications to pcvt_drv.c, got my system up and running.

	One thing I'm curious about, though, is:

freebsd# ls -lt /devfs/log /dev/log
srw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel         0 Mar 19 19:11 /dev/log
crw-------  2 root  wheel    7,   0 Mar 19 19:11 /devfs/log

	The two log devices seem to be created differently, but I'm
wondering if it is something that should be worried about, or if it
doesn't matter?  I'm assuming that the "correct" mode is the one in
/dev/log...but would like to confirm before I attempt to fix subr_log.c
to duplicate this properly.

	And there was a day I swore I wouldn't hack a kernel...:)

	Oh, what is dev_t?  I've looked through all the include files
trying to find it, and can't find where it is actually defined, altho
it is used an awful lot.  Which include file should I be looking in?

Thanks...

Marc G. Fournier | POP Mail  Telnet Acct  DNS Hosting
System           |  WWW Services   Database Services  | Knowledge,
  Administrator  |                                    | Information and
 scrappy@ki.net  |      WWW: http://www.ki.net        | Communications, Inc