Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 23:30:37 +0100
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
To:        Jim Ballantine <jwb@homer.att.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cable modem install

Jim Ballantine wrote:

> I am planning on changing from a dial-up ISP to a cable modem ISP,
> download cable upload phone line, and am looking for information/
> tutorial on installing a cable modem.  In an earlier mail someone
> mentioned that the handbook has directions for this, but I must
> be searching incorrectly since I can't find it.
>
> Is there information/tutorial on this subject, and if so, where?

There isn't much to do depending on your modem. I'm using a Com21
cable modem which connects to an ethernet card. So you just install
an ethernet card and tell it its IP address and route. That's about
all there is to it.

The next step will of course be natd, but that's independent of
the cable modem.

Roelof

--
Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.