Date:      Wed, 03 Nov 2004 00:31:00 +0300
From:      Vladimir Grebenschikov <vova@fbsd.ru>
To:        Rob <spamrefuse@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 5.3: how to make /dev/acd0 world readable?

=F7 =D7=D4, 02/11/2004 =D7 22:33 +0900, Rob =D0=C9=DB=C5=D4:
> Hi,
>=20
> ls /dev/acd0 says:
>=20
> crw-r----- root  operator    4,  12 Nov  2 00:27 /dev/acd0
>=20
> For my cd-player, I need it at least to be world readable.
>=20
> But /dev is a funny directory on 5.3, quite different from 4.10 case.
> How can I do that?

# pw group add cd
# cat >> /etc/devfs.rules=20
[devfsrules_common=3D7]
add path 'acd*'  mode 660 group cd
add path 'cd*'   mode 660 group cd
add path 'pass*' mode 660 group cd
add path 'xpt*'  mode 660 group cd
^D
# echo 'devfs_system_ruleset=3D"devfsrules_common"' >> /etc/rc.conf
# /etc/rc.d/devfs restart
#

then put all required users to group cd, or just change 660 to any
acceptable to you permission bits (say 664)

be care, access to xpt* can compromise any SCSI device on related CAM
bus, frankly speaking pass* and xpt* is required for writing CD/DVD with
cdrecord, if you have ATAPI CDROM and do not pan use atapicam you need
only acd* entry.

(really not sure about /etc/rc.d/devfs restart - never tried it, but
should work)

also, this solution will work for plugable cd crives
(pccard/firewire/usb/scsi/whatever...)

also 'man 8 devfs' - is not bad place to start

> Rob.

PS:=20
to all, we need better documentation for /etc/devfs.ruleset file.

--=20
Vladimir B. Grebenchikov
vova@fbsd.ru