Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 1996 10:02:25 +0500
From:      Richard J Kuhns <rjk@sparcmill.grauel.com>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: One problem && one question

Justin T. Gibbs writes:
 > >I'm afraid the card IS double probed.
 > >I built and booted a kernel with the following in the config file:
 >
 > What a pooorly designed piece of hardware.  Can you disable ISA
 > compatibility in the BIOS?  I attempted a different approach that would
 > filter out cards based on the model number and the type of probe, but since
 > the probe uses reseting the card as its primary detection method, it just
 > won't work (at least not with the bt747 I have here to test with).  Even
 > attempting the bt_cmd to get the board type for a non-existant board,
 > just hangs up the machine or simply takes too long to be practical (I
 > waited 5 minutes before hitting the reset button.  I think that we can
 > document this enough for it to not be a problem especially since the
 > GENERIC kernel only has one bt unit.  What we do once we have a
 > configuration manager is another story.
 >
 > Perhps the card has a second I/O register mapped in the PCI configuration
 > space?  Stephan is this allowed?  Could it be that I should just search
 > through them all and try to find and "ISA" port?

OK, I broke out the installation manual and started going through it.
Under the `Advanced Options' menu, (I'm going to quote from the book)

-Option: Set ISA Compatible IO Port.  This option allows you to specify
-an ISA backward-compatible I/O Port.  The ISA compatible I/O Port is in
-addition to the PCI compliant I/O port assigned by the PCI system BIOS.

-The factory default (Primary) Allows the onboard BIOS to assign the next
-available I/O port to the adapter starting from 330H.

I just rebuilt the kernel that does the PCI probe for bt0 and the ISA probe
for bt1, rebooted, and set the `ISA Compatible IO Port' to Disable.
Everything worked as it should; the PCI probe found the card as bt0, but
the ISA probe didn't find anything.

The particular machine I've been working with is FreeBSD-only (dangerously
dedicated, but I like it ;-).  I don't know how disabling the ISA Port will
affect DOS, but I hope to find out soon on a different machine -- I'm
enjoying playing Duke Nukem 3D...
--
Rich Kuhns			rjk@grauel.com
PO Box 6249