Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 1995 13:53:59 -0700
From:      Tony Jones <tony@rtd.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bootmanager help needed (FreeBSD/Win95)

Can anyone help me here (dual booting problem)

I got my system (ASUS P55TP4XE) from Rod Grimes, so I didn't have the joys of
configuring the boot manager myself.

I'm using 100% scsi (ASUS PCI-SC200 [NCR 53c810])

As stock, the NCR scsi bios finds,
	0	DEC DSP3053LS	(end of chain and active termination)
	1	DEC DSP3053LS

Bootmanager displays:
	F1:	BSD
	F5:	disc2
	Default: F1
<selecting F1 boots BSD OK>

<selecting F5 toggles to:>
	F1:	BSD
	F5:	disc1
	Default: F5
<selecting F1 boot fails - which is CORRECT, no boot block on sd1>

----

So, fine upto this point ....

I decided I wanted to run Windoze 95, so I added a spare 240mb Quantum I had
knocking around. I installed Win95 on sd2 (removed 0 and 1 from the scsi chain
to do this)

I'd like to be able to selectively boot Win95 or FreeBSD (default)

The NCR scsi bios finds:
	0       DEC DSP3053LS   (end of chain and active termination)
	1       DEC DSP3053LS
	2	QUANTUM LP240S GM240S01X

Bootmanager displays:
	F1:     BSD
	Default: F1
	(nothing anymore for disc2 - anyone know why???)
<selecting F1 still boots BSD OK>

----

I'd assumed (valid?) that the boot manager would normally give me only
2 disc choices and (another assumption) these would be assigned to the first
2 active scsi id's - meaning I'd eventually have to swap id's between
sd2 (bootable Win95) with sd1 (non-bootable BSD /home) if I wanted to dual
boot Win95.

Shortcutting this I pulled sd1 off the chain (removed data and power),
the NCR bios the finds only 2 id's:
	0       DEC DSP3053LS   (end of chain and active termination)
	2	QUANTUM LP240S GM240S01X

Bootmanager displays:
	F1:     BSD
	F5:	disc2

<selecting _either_ F1 or F5 __directly__ boots BSD from sd0 - no toggling
of discs takes place>

----

If I remove sd0 and sd1 off the scsi chain, Win95 boots by default - fairly
obvious.

Can anyone advise me on what I need to do to configure the boot manager
to dual boot FreeBSD and Win95.

Appreciate any help.

Sorry this was long, felt it was better to give all the details.

thanks

tony