Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 21:09:44 +0930
From:      "John Bonnett" <jbonnett@camtech.net.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Booting FreeBSD from Win2K boot manager

I want to use the Windows 2000 boot manager to boot FreeBSD 4.1 among other
things.  I have read "How can I use the NT loader to boot FreeBSD?" and
Win2K seems similar enough in its booting that the same thing as for FreeBSD
3 should work.  I am not completely clear on what I have to do.

Firstly, when I install BSD what do I say when it asks about using the BSD
boot manager? I have actually already installed and I answered "no boot
manager" as I intended to use Win2K's.  FreeBSD is on the start of my second
hard drive with Win2K and Win98 on the first.

The second thing is, do I just copy /boot/boot0 to c:\bootsect.bsd after
installing as above?

I did set this sort of thing up on one of my previous machines with NT4 and
RH5.2 but it seems FreeBSD's boot arrangements are a little more complicated
since version 3.

Is this what I should do?

1. Install the FreeBSD boot manager in the MBR.  Can I do this without
completely reinstalling?
2. Boot into FreeBSD and copy /boot/boot0 to c:\bootsect.bsd
3. Edit my boot.ini to include the entry for FreeBSD (I have done this
before)
4. Try booting to FreeBSD via the Win2k boot manager which I get to via the
FreeBSD one.
5. Assuming 4. works OK I should be able to boot to DOS and use FDISK /MBR
to remove the FreeBSD boot manager from the MBR
6. I can then get to everything from the Win2K boot menu.

I just want to be fairly sure I won't cripple my system.  I need to do work
in Win2k while I am getting familiar with FreeBSD!

John Bonnett