Date:      Wed, 6 Feb 2002 17:30:52 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
To:        nectar@freebsd.org (Jacques A. Vidrine)
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/contrib/bind FREEBSD-Xlist

> On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 05:14:03PM +0200, John Hay wrote:
> > What about going to v9.x? At least for -current, although looking at
> > the security history of 8.x, I think we should really think about
> > doing it even for -stable. Leave the bind8 port for those guys that
> > need some of its features.
>
> That's something that is worthy of being discussed.  Personally, I use
> BIND 9.  But I know many people still run BIND 8 --- including heavy
> hitters like the root name servers operators.
>
> FWIW, I stepped in to update BIND to 8.3.1-REL as Security Officer,
> because of recent security bug fixes.  In other words, I did it to fix
> something broken.  Moving to BIND 9 is a feature enhancement that will
> require work on the part of our users.  I'd like to see some
> discussion about the tradeoffs before we decide to make such a move.

Well like I tried to imply in my previous email, you can look at
"upgrading to v9.x" as a feature enhancement or measured against the
history of v8 as preventative security fixes. :-) I say let those who
want to live on the security edge do so from ports/packages. :-)
Just MHO.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@icomtek.csir.co.za / jhay@FreeBSD.org