Date:      Fri, 16 Jul 1999 09:01:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        crypt0genic@ecad.org (crypt0genic)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: poor ethernet performance?

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, crypt0genic had
to walk into mine and say:

> Hey all,

> I have two freeBSD machines one 3.1 -STABLE and the other 3.2 -STABLE,

3.2-STABLE *FROM WHEN*. What date does it say when you run uname -a!

> I was ftping a very large file from one machine to abother over are
> lan, it began to get extremely slow and began to stall. I suspected two
> much traffic on our hub (A Netgear 24port 10base-T) so i switched the
> two machines onto a 8 port Compaq Nettelligent hub. Now there are only
> these two machines on the hub and they are still stalling. I tried
> ftping both ways but it was the same thing.

You changed out the "hub" just because one FTP transfer didn't go as
fast as you would have liked? Did you reset the interfaces (or reboot
the machines) when you reconnected them?

It sounds a lot to me like you have the duplex modes on the cards set
wrong, or that the cards are autonegotiating wrong (which is not
impossible -- some switches that have full duplex ports don't do NWAY
correctly). The cards must agree with their link partners: if you have
them plugged into full duplex ports, then they must also be set to full
duplex. If the cards are plugged into half duplex ports, then they also
have to be half duplex.

Now you're going to ask me how to set the duplex mode on the interface
because why read the instructions when you can just ask somebody "on
the web" instead, right? Grrr.

# ifconfig xl0 media 10baseT/UTP mediaopt full-duplex
# ifconfig xl0 media 10baseT/UTP mediaopt half-duplex

> By looking at the lights on the hob it seems that a burst of data
> would come for 2 seconds and then it would be dead for 10. I have 3com
> 3c905b FastEthernet cards in both machines, and up until now I have
> never had these kind of problems.

Er. I don't get it. You're implying that the bug fairy just visited
you one night while you were asleep. This doesn't happen. If you're
having trouble now and you weren't before, then you changed something.
Stands to reason, doesn't it?

-Bill