Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 1995 12:35:17 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bragging rights..

>> Joe Greco says.....
>>
>> >Dennis started this thread on the assertion that his sync serial cards can
>> >do very high speeds quite easily  :-)
>>
>> Actually, Dennis started this thread by trying to get a price reference for
>> the Async solution that Jordan referred to....I did not start it by saying
>> that sync is better than async.
>
>Okay, the former is true, the latter however was not implied.  "Dennis
>_continued_ this thread on the assertion that his sync serial cards can do
>very high speeds quite easily" ....
>
>> My point was that if  for about the same
>> money you can have a more flexible solution that will use less of your CPU
>> it is worth considering.
>
>I agree (but fail to see the "for about the same money" portion of this
>statement in your product).
>
>> Unlike most of you, my perspective is
>> marketability....not necessarily your (wrong) opinion that async is just as
>> good.
>
>You haven't been reading.  I've clearly stated that there is a performance
>penalty (processing overhead, which generally falls into the category of
>interrupts) associated with async.  There are both benefits and
>disadvantages.  The benefits include the fact that I can go down to Moe's
>Computers a few blocks down the road and pick up a 16550 solution, the fact
>that "everybody" speaks async RS232, it's quite reasonably priced, and it's
>a longtime PC standard.  The disadvantages are that at higher data rates it
>starts to eat CPU, and it's async.
>
>> If its not cheaper, which has always been the sole selling point for
>> async, then it's a no-brainer.
>
>Yes, I agree.  But the way I count it, it's cheaper by about $370 per side
>(or $740 per solution) - assuming your card is $400 and a standard _dual_
>16550 card is $30ish (I do not wish to bicker over numbers however).

You're missing the point....that Jordan paid $650. for a decent async/BONDING TA
and sync/BONDING TA's can be gotten for about $260. So the price comparision
that we were
talking about was $680. ($650. + $30.)  per side for async, and $660. ($260.
+ $400.) for sync.
Now these may not be the best numbers available, but the thread is based on
those numbers.
If all TAs can do sync and async bonding equally well, then you are right.
But sync bonding is
more efficient and easier to implement, so they're not.

Dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25