Date:      Mon, 3 May 2004 09:32:28 -0500
From:      "Reuben A. Popp" <gobinau@digitalcelt.net>
To:        frebbsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Harddrive Failure

--d6Gm4EdcadzBjdND

Morning all,=20

While working last night, my workstation here started acting up (songs play=
ing in xmms were pausing like the machine was lagging).  Upon looking at th=
e console messages of XFree, I saw that I was receiving a large number of m=
essages that looked like:

ad3: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=3D51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=3D40<UNCORREC
TABLE> LBA=3D2572271

Great, a harddrive failure on an 80 gig drive that I had no backup for. =20
The box more or less locked up on me after that, whereupon I did a hard reb=
oot.  After looking on google a bit, I decided to try a tool someone reccom=
ended from sysutils ports called smartmon.  That spit out a large number of=
 errors at me.  Okay, so the disk is bad, bum deal.  But...

After rebooting a second time or so, I'm seeing this error on my console:

ad0: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=3D51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=3D40<UNCORREC
TABLE> LBA=3D4631543
May  3 09:10:03 woad syslogd: /var/log/cron: Input/output error =20

Crap, now its on the main system drive.  Now I might not be entirely saavy,=
 but I would like to think that I'm not going to have two drives crap out o=
n me at one time.  The main drive still works fine after that, although con=
sole will occasionally spit that error out at me. =20

Can anyone fill me in on what might be the problem?  I've rebuild world and=
 kernel (going from 5.2.1-RELEASE-p3 to 5.2.1-RELEASE-p5), as well as switc=
hed out ribbon cables for the drives.  The first drive in question (first f=
ailure that is), is a Maxtor 80 gig IDE, while the main system drive is a M=
axtor 40 gig IDE.  The 80 gig is less than a half a year old, while the 40 =
gig is a year old (maybe).  In case anyone needs the info, the motherboard =
is an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe (with the Intel ICH5R/875P chipset).

Thanks in advance, and cheers :)

Reuben A. Popp

--d6Gm4EdcadzBjdND

--d6Gm4EdcadzBjdND--