Date:      Fri, 8 Nov 2002 09:47:39 -0500
From:      Chris Faulhaber <jedgar@fxp.org>
To:        kai ouyang <oykai@msn.com>
Cc:        Current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: a queston about ACL acl_type_t

--zhXaljGHf11kAtnf

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 11:17:39AM +0800, kai ouyang wrote:
> Hi,
>  I am trying to understand the ACL implementation in FreeBSD-Current. I=
=20
> have a question about ACL.
>  in "acl.h", there are some acl_type_t value macro:
> /*
> * Possible valid values for acl_type_t arguments.
> */
> #define	ACL_TYPE_ACCESS		0x00000000
> #define	ACL_TYPE_DEFAULT	         0x00000001
> #define	ACL_TYPE_AFS		0x00000002
> #define	ACL_TYPE_CODA		0x00000003
> #define	ACL_TYPE_NTFS		0x00000004
> #define	ACL_TYPE_NWFS		0x00000005
>=20
> But I am not sure what's means.

See the POSIX.1e draft[1] for detailed explanations.  Basically we
support access ACL's on files and directories allowing discretionary
access control and default ACL's on directories which determine the
default access ACL's on any files and directories created below it.

> in the 'setfacl' source, I found the usage:
> If we want to control a directory,
>  acl[ACL_TYPE_DEFAULT] =3D acl_get_file(filename, ACL_TYPE_DEFAULT);
> if we want to sontrol a file,
>  acl[DEFAULT_ACL] =3D NULL;
> Why?
> What's the difference among those macros?
> Why must a directory object reserve two acl_t_structs, and a file only ne=
ed=20
> one?
>=20

Because directories may have both default and access ACL's whereas
files may only have access ACL's.

[1] http://wt.xpilot.org/publications/posix.1e/

--=20
Chris D. Faulhaber - jedgar@fxp.org - jedgar@FreeBSD.org