Date:      Wed, 2 May 2001 10:33:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Hickum <yh2789@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SSH hesitation after hostmane change STILL

> Please go into /etc/ssh/ and delete any file ending
> with *key and *.pub
> and reboot. It will generate new host keys
> associated with the new name,
> which i hope is already set in hostname="whatever"
> in rc.conf
> After that let us know if the behaviour is still the
> same.

Sounds like you would like the details.

Yes, I changed the hostname in rc.conf and did this
thing I saw to do in the book: hostname -s
new.host.name (whatever that's for).

2 weeks ago when I first changed the hostname, and the
hesitation began, I guessed that letting it rebuild
the key and .pub files might fix this but it didn't. I
know I did it correctly because I didn't rm them I mvd
them to a subdirectory and they're still there.

I just followed your advice and rmd them and rebooted.
THE first time I logged in from a remote machine with
ssh it was instantaneous. Because I had moved the key
and .pub files before with no luck I was suspicious.
This suspicion led to my logging off and on a few more
times. The hesitation is back. It was only fast the
first time after rm-ing the files.

I tried it again but it was slow from the get-go.
Every logon now is slow again.