Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 19:30:48 +1300
From:      David Preece <davep@afterswish.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Failing to mount /usr/obj over NFS

I just don't get it.

I'm trying to have just the one server with a copy of the 4.2 sources (I'm
going through a big update all my boxes session), and I thought that while
I was at it I may as well have one unified /usr/obj directory as well. The
theory goes that with these two mounted over NFS, make buildworld will be
faster because the objects are already built (buildworld arguably not
necessary?), whilst not affecting installworld. That's the theory, anyway.

In practice I can mount /usr/src over NFS with no problem, but cannot mount
/usr/obj:
	#mount cvs:/usr/src /usr/src
	#mount cvs:/usr/obj /usr/obj
	nfs: can't access /usr/obj: Permission denied

Despite the fact that I have two identical mounts in /etc/exports:
	/usr/src        development
	/usr/obj        development

The directories don't have any draconian permissions on the server:
	bash-2.03$ ls -Flor
	total 38 [many snipped for brevity]
	drwxr-xr-x  22 root  wheel  -  512 Jan 30 14:09 src/
	drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  -  512 Jan 31 08:51 obj/

And on the client nodes exist for both directories (here shown unmounted):
	#ls -Flor
	total 35 [snipped again]
	drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel  -  512 Jan 31 15:11 src/
	drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel  -  512 Jan 31 17:00 obj/

 From hunches I have tried: Only mounting the /usr/obj directory; removing
all the flags from /usr/obj with chflags; and mounting read only. - To no
avail.

I just cannot tell what is different between the two directories that means
I can only connect to one of them. Any ideas? And does anyone have any
feedback on the cowboy mounting idea in general?

Dave