Date:      Wed, 07 Feb 2001 09:13:23 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfg1+@pitt.edu>, dan@langille.org
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: laptops - perhaps DELL

At 09:00 AM 2/7/2001, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:

>The technical support people said that since there is no warranty now
>they would charge me $20 only for commenting my problem on the phone!
>No idea how much it costs to fix it..but I simply need it now so it'll
>have to wait.

Laptop manufacturers are infamous for gouging on repairs. HP and IBM
are the worst in this regard: long delays and hundreds of dollars. And
in most cases you cannot buy parts.

I find that, whenever I get a laptop, it pays to buy a defunct one
of the same brand (possibly an older model with the same case and
keyboard) for parts. This saved me thousands of dollars with my
IBM ThinkPad. After my horrendous experience with that unit, I will
probably never buy an IBM product again if I can help it.

--Brett