Date:      Wed, 3 Sep 2003 08:13:36 -0500
From:      Sean Kelly <smkelly@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Bryan Liesner <bleez@comcast.net>
Cc:        Martin <nakal@web.de>
Subject:   Re: ATAng - copying atapi CD

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 07:11:53AM -0400, Bryan Liesner wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, Martin wrote:
>
> > Am Di, 2003-09-02 um 18.56 schrieb Bryan Liesner:
> > > dd then gets slower and slower until it seems to grind to a halt.
> >
> > I have this problems everywhere (not only ATAng), if I'm trying to
> > read some of my really old CD-Rs. You should know that they are aging.
> >
> > Check the surface of the CD-R (the surface is actually the label!).
> > On few CD-Rs which have been in my car the label begins to break
> > in the outter areas. This can have several reasons:
> > - too much UV light (sun)
> > - too high humidity
> > - and also touching the CD-R on the outter area while holding it
> >
> > If you notice that your CD-R label looks strange and if you need
> > the data, you should backup it fast.
>

> No, we're talking about brand new, factory pressed, audio CDs.

And on top of that, my Windows XP machine's DVD-ROM was able to raed my
*commercial audio CDs* perfectly while the CD-RW in the FreeBSD machine was
only able to read about 95% of the discs before it just got stuck.

--
Sean Kelly          | PGP KeyID: D2E5E296
smkelly@FreeBSD.org | http://www.sean-kelly.org/