Date:      Sun, 15 Apr 2001 15:14:41 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        "Joe Heuring" <heyjoe@cts.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: shells

> From: "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
> Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 23:19:09 -0700
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Most of the core FreeBSD developers prefer the C shell.  There's
> no real technical reason for their preference, they just like
> it better.

To be more precise, I think they prefer it as an interactive
shell. I doubt many of them routinely write csh scripts.

Also, on FreeBSD, csh is REALLY tcsh which is far newer and far more
powerful than the old csh. It's also standard from platform to platform
where every vendor seems to have their own hacks on csh, some of them
highly incompatible.

Finally, tcsh is pretty much upwards compatible from csh. If you can
do it under csh, it will work the same under tcsh. And tcsh has many
features that any modern shell has and csh does not including filename
completion, command completion, more flexible prompts, and many others.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)