Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 07:08:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jaime <jaime@snowmoon.com>
To:        Marius <marius@mail.communityconnect.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: running out of buffer space for sockets

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Marius wrote:
> One of my webservers is having an on-again, off-again problem with
> networking.  When the load gets up there (thttpd is pushing maybe 15MB
> right now)  I begin to run out of buffer space  to create sockets.

	Heya old pal.  :)

	Honestly, I think that looking at the kernel in this case is like
rebuilding the foundation of a house when all that's needed is an extra
layer of paint in the basement.  You know, massive over kill.  Look into
your apache config files for something that will help.  I found the
following in mine:

#
# MaxRequestsPerChild: the number of requests each child process is
# allowed to process before the child dies.  The child will exit so
# as to avoid problems after prolonged use when Apache (and maybe the
# libraries it uses) leak memory or other resources.  On most systems, this
# isn't really needed, but a few (such as Solaris) do have notable leaks
# in the libraries. For these platforms, set to something like 10000
# or so; a setting of 0 means unlimited.
#
# NOTE: This value does not include keepalive requests after the initial
#       request per connection. For example, if a child process handles
#       an initial request and 10 subsequent "keptalive" requests, it
#       would only count as 1 request towards this limit.
#
MaxRequestsPerChild 0

	You should just tell apache to "recycle" child processes after
they answer a certain number of requests.  This will keep them from
getting too big.

							Good luck,
							Jaime

--
"[A]s we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and