Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 15:11:54 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        nate@yogotech.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems getting WaveLAN device (wi0) working

> > > FreeBSD sometimes seems to mis-assign resources
> > > already in use.
> >
> > This is incorrect.
>
> No, this is true.  The mobile code sometimes screws up, and attempts to
> re-use an already active resource.

This doesn't constitute "mis-assigning" a resource, since when pccardd
submits the resource assignment to the kernel, it will be rejected by the
resource manager (and thus the resources are not mis-assigned).

> And, it's not just the mobile code.
> Often because FreeBSD has no driver for a particular piece of hardware,
> it's unaware of the resources being used by a piece of hardware (a
> CardBus controller, or an unsupported sound card), so it assumes
> (wrongly) that the resources it is using are free, when in fact the
> hardware is still using the resources despite the fact there is no
> driver for them.

This is also incorrect.

FreeBSD doesn't "assign" resources for anything at this point in time,
with the dubious exception of pccardd.  We just use the resources that
the firmware has set up.

To take your cardbus controller example; these are PCI devices.  Unless
your firmware is faulty, they don't have resource conflicts.  In the case
of an unsupported sound card, it's either PCI (resources are unique and
can't ever be conflicted with) or ISA-PnP (resources are owned by the
'unknown' driver and are thus known to the resource manager) or ISA (in
which case the administrator is responsible for conflict resolution).