Date:      Wed, 09 Nov 2005 00:31:56 -0800
From:      Sam Nilsson <lists@servingpeace.com>
To:        Dave <dmehler26@woh.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bruteforce not restarting pf?

Dave wrote:
> Checking my bruteforce table ;i see 163.13.111.172/32 in it, so it was
> added, but i don't get why future connections were permitted unless pf
> was not restarted or informed about the updated table.

which table are you checking? the in-memory table that pf uses or the
on-disk table? are you saying that the ip is inserted into the text file
but that it doesn't get added to the firewall? the way my setup works,
bruteforceblocker.pl updates the text file *and* runs pfctl to update
the firewall since AFAIK, the firewall doesn't watch the text file for
changes.

Make sure that you edit the settings in the bruteforceblocker.pl script
itself. For instance, if your firewall table (the one in memory) isn't
getting updated, make sure that you have the $pfctl variable setup
correctly.

- Sam