Date:      Wed, 8 Dec 1999 15:01:29 -0600
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov>
To:        Ariel Burbaickij <Ariel.Burbaickij@mni.fh-giessen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: urgent help with jdk1.1.8 badly needed

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Ariel Burbaickij wrote:

> Have coursework to be done .Deadline is already set.
> System run is fbsd3.2.
> JDK used 1.1.8
> PATH is set propelry
> Tried to run javac got large amount of errors of following kind:
> "Package java.util not found in import"
> "Package java.io   not found in import"
> What is wrong ?How could the malfunctioning be mend?

The errors seem to indicate that the java runtime was not able to find the
classes archive file (which I believe is located at
/usr/local/jdk1.1.8/lib/classes.zip on my system).  Normally, the java
startup script (/usr/local/jdk1.1.8/bin/.java_wrapper) appends the path to
this file to the CLASSPATH environment variable.

What does "echo $CLASSPATH" report?  What does "which java" report?

Guy

Guy Helmer, Ph.D. Candidate, Iowa State University Dept. of Computer Science
Research Assistant, Ames Laboratory       ---         ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov
Research Assistant, Dept. of Computer Science   ---   ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu
Teaching Assistant, ComS 652 Distributed Operating Systems
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~ghelmer