Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 00:18:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jeff Duffy <jeff@alanne.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Signal 4 while compiling 4.1.1

On Sun, 1 Oct 2000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

>* Corey G. <cgaff@flashcom.net> [001001 19:01] wrote:
>> No matter what, while compiling on my AMD K62-450 I get some type of
>> signal 4 error.  4.1.1 compiled fine on a PIII.  Any ideas?  Three
>> weeks
>> ago 4.1 STABLE compiled fine too.  Is my CPU going bad or is this a CPU
>> incompatibility problem?
>
>Something is wrong with your system, check cabling, cooling and memory.

 I have had the same problem. To wit:

1. Installed 4.1-RELEASE on a K6-III 400

2. CVSUPed from cvsup6

3. Ran buildworld. Failed with the following error:

cc -O -pipe -DLIBC_RCS -DSYSLIBC_RCS -I/usr/src/lib/libc/include
-D__DBINTERFACE_PRIVATE -DINET6 -DPOSIX_MISTAKE
-I/usr/src/lib/libc/../libc/l
ocale -DBROKEN_DES -DYP -I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/include -c
/usr/src/lib/libc/../libc/net/res_debug.c -o res_debug.o
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:0: Warning: end of file not at end of a line; newline
inserted
cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 4
*** Error code 1

4. rm'ed /usr/src, CVSUPed again four hours later. Ran buildworld. Failed
with same error (same place).

5. rm'ed /usr/src, CVSUPed again the next day (today), this time from
cvsup.freebsd.org. Ran buildworld. Failed with same error (same place).

6. Read Signal 11 FAQ, ran tests as recommended, all passed. Ran memtest
in single user mode with no extraneous processes running on all available
memory (~128MB). All test passed.

7. Saw this post, and began to get suspicious... :)

 Any ideas where I can start looking? 4.1-STABLE built on this box fine a
few weeks ago (new install due to new disks).

 Jeff Duffy
 jeff@alanne.com