Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 15:45:05 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rebooting for Upgrade questions and SSH broke

On Wed 2001-02-14 (13:39), Wayne Pascoe wrote:
> Sorry to keep bugging, but some things are confusing me.
>
> 1. I just did a cvsup to 4.2 Stable. I then did a make world and then
> a make world install. This did not work as it was unable to overwrite
> certain files due to the securelevel. I changed this in rc.conf and
> rebooted, and was able to do the install.
> Is there any way to do this without rebooting? Do I have to reboot
> every time I do a make installworld? Is there no way to just restart
> all services affected with the new versions? I don't really want to
> reboot after every update.

You generally have to boot your new kernel (the one you have
synchronised with your userland) before installworld.  Anything else
isn't really supported.

If you do do it without the new kernel and reboot, it'll probably work,
but you'll have to restart the services manually for now.

> 2. After installing and rebooting, I can no longer ssh to the
> machine. For starters, it looks like doing the make installworld
> generated a new key. Can I stop it doing this? I don't want to change
> the server key everytime I update.
>
> For seconds, I now get the following message when trying to ssh to the
> machine:
>
> sshd[214] no modules loaded for 'ssh' service
> sshd[214] no modules loaded for 'ssh' service
> sshd[214] no modules loaded for 'ssh' service
> fatal: PAM session setup failed[6]: Permission denied
> fatal: PAM session setup failed[6]: Permission denied
> fatal: PAM session setup failed[6]: Permission denied

There's a note about this in /usr/src/UPDATING

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
nbm@mithrandr.moria.org