Date:      Fri, 11 Jul 2008 06:08:53 -0400
From:      Gerard <gerard@seibercom.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        EdwardKing <zhangsc@neusoft.com>
Subject:   Re: mail not work

--Sig_/VmxW7k6AglPZ0JfR01fLp1j

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 17:21:35 +0800
EdwardKing <zhangsc@neusoft.com> wrote:

> >   * Did you do anything to enable Sendmail (the default mail
> > transfer agent)?
>=20
> >>It's enabled by default on localhost.
>=20
> How to make FreeBSD mail to work?
>=20
> From: "Giorgos Keramidas" <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
>=20
> > On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 08:30:18 +0800, EdwardKing
> > <zhangsc@neusoft.com> wrote:
> >> I use mailx command,such as Tom to Kate,I like following command:
> >> $mail Kate
> >> Subject:Hello
> >> Hello world
> >> (press Ctrl+D)
> >> EOT
> >>
> >> Then I use user Kate to login,and check mail,
> >> $mail
> >> No mail for Kate
> >>
> >> Why I can't receive letter? where is wrong?
> >=20
> > mailx depends on a correctly configured `mail transfer agent', and
> > it expects the *login* name of a user, not their real name.
> >=20
> >  * Do you have a local user whose login name is `Kate'?
> >=20
> >  * Did you do anything to enable Sendmail (the default mail transfer
> >    agent)?
> >=20
> >  * What does the `/var/log/maillog' file contain?

Please don't top post. If you don't know what that means, Google for it.

Regarding your 'sendmail' problem, might I suggest that you start by
reading the material available at the following URLs.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mail.html
http://www.technoids.org/freebsdsendmailfaqs.html
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/sendmail.html

There is a wealth of information available on this subject. Try reading
and then posting if there is something that you do not fully understand.

--=20
Gerard
gerard@seibercom.net

Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at
different speeds.  A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.

	Clive James