Date:      30 Jul 2003 11:36:35 -0700
From:      Dave Byrne <dave-lists@glynjones.com>
To:        Haesu <haesu@towardex.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendto: No buffer space available

I had the same exact problem.  I traced it to be a bug in some software
that opened a domain socket(2) but could not connect(2) and never closed
the descriptor returned.

something like:

sd = socket(AF_UNIX, SOCK_STREAM, 0);
if(connect(sd, (struct sockaddr *)&saddr, sizeof(saddr)) < 0) {
   return -1;
}

where close(2) was skipped on sd if the connect failed.

over a period of time (12-18hrs), these unconnected sockets would fill
up the available buffer space, and exhibit the same symptoms you are
having. even running ifconfig would fail with No buffer space available.

from intro(2):
55 ENOBUFS No buffer space available.  An operation on a socket or pipe
was not performed because the system lacked sufficient buffer space or
because a queue was full.

Fixing that bug fixed the problem. I doubt you have a hardware problem,
I would try narrowing down what software is causing the lockup. truss(1)
might help you out here.

Dave