Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 2003 05:16:00 +0000
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslog.conf syntax change (multiple program/host specifications)

On Monday 17 February 2003 02:45, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> In a separate message on 2/15/03, Wes Peters wrote:
> >On Saturday 15 February 2003, Thomas Quinot wrote:
> >  > Le 2003-02-14, Wes Peters =E9crivait :
> >  > > To this end I've implemented another feature, 'N' for
> >  > > newsyslog.  When the file size limit is reached, newsyslog
> >  > > is run with the log filename as the only argument.  The
> >  > > size limitation in syslog.conf and newsyslog.conf should
> >  > > agree or you won't get what you expect.
> >  >
> >  > Well, precisely for this reason it would seem even nicer to
> >  > me to delegate the size limitation to newsyslog as well
> >  > perhaps rebuilding a tool similar to daemontool's multilog
> >  > based on code shared with newsyslog).
> >
> >That's a better answer than incorporating multilog with all it's
> >djb licensing warts, but still costs another process for every
> >log file you want to size-limit.
> >
> >Garance, did you get this one?  Do you want to look at this?
>
> I believe this issue would be handled by the "force" option
> (either '-Fr' for now, or '-R' & <default> handling once I do
> that).  So, my assumption is that there is nothing additional
> I need to do here.  Let me know if I'm missing something.

Oh, Thomas was asking for a process that reads stdin and rotates=20
the data among log files in the way newsyslog does.  The "right"=20
way to do this would be to extract the file rotation code into a=20
shared library (librotate - hahaha) and write a simple program to=20
implement the pipe functionality.  It sounds straightforward, I=20
can look into it if you're too busy or not interested.  Or buried
under snow. ;^)

=2D-=20

        Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                               wes@softweyr.com