Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 2000 20:21:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Adam Blake <blake@sba.miami.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPPoE and ed1 device problems

> If I could get a copy of ppp.conf that would be great!
> I will test it tomorrow and let you know how it turns out.

Here you go:

[start /etc/ppp/ppp.conf]
default:
        set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
        nat enable yes
        set redial 15 28800
        set reconnect 15 28800
        set device PPPoE:dc0
        set mru 1492
        set mtu 1492
        set speed sync
        enable lqr
        set lqrperiod 5
        set cd 5
        set dial
        set login
        set timeout 0
        set authname theuser
        set authkey thepass
        set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0
        add default HISADDR

papchap:
        set authname theuser
        set authkey thepass
[end ppp.conf]

dc0 is the "outside" interface.  "theuser" and "thepass" are the PPPoE
user name and password, respectively.

If it still doesn't work, make sure that the network card is actually
working--hook it up to a hub (or just another computer) and make sure
that that computer can communicate with FreeBSD.

Hope this helps

	--dima

> [...]
>   remember what I changed, but I have all of the PPPoE settings under
>   "default" and the authentication info under "papchap".  If you want
>   a copy, let me know.
> - Start ppp.  I use: "ppp -background -nat -quiet papchap".  The first
>   time you start it you may want to omit the background, nat, and quiet options.
> - Enjoy!
>
> Hope this helps
>
> 	--dima
>

> > In /var/log/ppp.log I allways see lines like the following...
> > (please excuse me I am reciting this from memory)
> > Connected!
> > dial -> disconnected
> > waiting 5 seconds...
> > Connected!
> > dial -> disconnected
> >
> > waiting 30 seconds...
> >
> > and it goes on and on and on like that.
> >
> > I will send another e-mail and write down the exact output of the log.
> > I appoligize for being so ambiguous.
> >
> > Any takers on this PPPoE issue?
> >
> > ADam
> >

> > On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Dima Dorfman wrote:
> >
> > > Hello All.
> > >
> > > I am trying ti get PPPoE up and running using pacbell's DSL service and
> > > I am having some problems.  Here's the story...
> > >
> > > First off, I have 2 netgear ISA NIC's installed.  At boot they show up as
> > > ed1 and ed2.  ifconfig also sees these 2 devices.
> > >
> > > However,
> > >
> > > These devices are NOT listed in the /dev directory and when I attempt to
> > > run MAKEDEV ed1 from the /dev directory I get the error
> > > ed1 - no such device name
> >
> > I don't believe they are supposed to be in /dev.  None of my network
> > interfaces are (I checked on 3.4-S and 4.0-S).
> >
> > If the kernel detects them correctly and you can use ifconfig to
> > configure them, everything should work properly.
> >

> > > ALL of my kernel sources are installed and the directory
> > > /usr/src/sys/dev/ed does indeed exist and it has the ".c" files for
> > > the isa version.  What am I doing wrong?
> > >
> > > Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Other than the fact that they don't show up in /dev, what's the
> > problem?
> >
> > 	--dima
> >

> > > Adam

> > --
> > Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org> - Enriched/HTML messages > /dev/null
> > PGP Fingerprint: CC 2A DD 54 12 85 7D 8B  B3 CE B3 10 9C BE D5 69
> > Finger dima@unixfreak.org for public PGP key.
> >
> > "To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge it,
> > requires brains."
> >         -- Mary Poole

> --
> Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org> - Enriched/HTML messages > /dev/null
> PGP Fingerprint: CC 2A DD 54 12 85 7D 8B  B3 CE B3 10 9C BE D5 69
> Finger dima@unixfreak.org for public PGP key.
>
> "If you understand everything, you must be misinformed."
> 	-- Japanese Proverb

Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org> - Enriched/HTML messages > /dev/null
PGP Fingerprint: CC 2A DD 54 12 85 7D 8B  B3 CE B3 10 9C BE D5 69

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved."
	-- Charles F. Kettering