Date:      Thu, 23 Apr 1998 09:14:32 -0700
From:      "Timothy M. Spear" <tspear@ventera.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   A few questions...

Hi,
    I have two situations that FreeBSD could used. However, I don't have
enough knowledge of what is available in the market place to know if it
is a good fit. Please would anyone recommend possible software solutions
on FreeBSD to me. TIA.

Situation 1)
    Currently NT with Oracle and Netscape Enterprise server. The
functionality used is the following: Java Application running as a
server process, Ansi compliant SQL used against Oracle, HTML and Java
Applets served up in HTTP by Netscape.

Situation 2)
    Currently NT with Oracle, Netscape Enterprise server and MS Exchange
with Internet Gateway. The functionality used is the following: VB.
Application running as a server process against the Exchange server
(reads messages and translates them into database inserts), Ansi
compliant SQL used against Oracle, HTML and Java Applets served up in a
HTTP by Netscape.  The VB. App is fairly simple and uses MAPI to gain
access to Exchange. Is there something similar that could be done on
FreeBSD.

In both cases, NT performance has proven to be very costly. Both systems
must scale from 5 users to 300 users based upon the installation. While
NT can handle this, the cost has become prohibitive for many of my
clients. They also complain of reliabilty.

Thanks again,

Tim