Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 95 11:02:53 EDT
From:      fcawth@squid.umd.edu (Fred Cawthorne)
To:        peter@bonkers.taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZIP drives

> The Iomega ZIP drive looks just big enough to let me install FreeBSD on one,
> using the live file system CD, to let me do test installs and stuff pretty
> cheapl ($20 per 100M cartridge). Has anyone any input into this?

I have used it with a NCR scsi controller and an UltraStor 14f.  There
are some warnings from the NCR controller, but I don't remember seeing
them with the Ultrastor.
(When it is probed or a disk is changed, I get:
sd2(ncr0:6:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0 Invalid field in CDB
sd2 could not mode sense (4). Using ficticious geometry
)
> Especially: has anyone used one under FreeBSD, or booted from one?

I have used it with FreeBSD to store stuff and install from, and I have
installed FreeBSD and booted from it.  You may have to boot from the
floppy and give it the right root device though.  (Depending on what
your scsi controller does about booting)  It makes a nice "emergency"
system to boot BSD and reformat your hard drive, etc...

Fred.