Date:      28 Oct 1999 04:03:29 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: why FFS is THAT slower than EXT2 ?

Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net> writes:

> On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, Ben Rosengart wrote:
>
> Why is that important?  Soft updates is still far better than an async
> filesystem.  Have you lost files in panics?  I haven't.

Since you do not define in which OS this last question applies, the
answer is definitely "yes".  That is exactly how I came to FreeBSD about
a month or so ago.  X11 managed to bring my kernel to it's knees.  Linux
paniced and managed to fsck everything on the disk to the never-never
land when it came back up.

With FreeBSD now... I have had a few power-failures bring the machine
down, if that counts for a "crash", and nothing happened to my files.
Seems there is a basic difference somewhere in between.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]