Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 03:01:22 -0500
From:      "Allen Smith" <easmith@beatrice.rutgers.edu>
To:        Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is 'xntpd' broken in -stable?

On Oct 25,  4:14am, Studded (possibly) wrote:

Sorry about the delay...

> Allen Smith wrote:
>
> > I've checked with Dave Mills on this issue, and there's an option (-x,
> > which is unfortunately not in the help files) in ntpd (as opposed to
> > xntpd, which is about as obsolete/nonsupported as FreeBSD-1.x)

I apologize for exaggerating. It's more like FreeBSD-2.1.

> 	Posted this on another list...I disagree with your characterization as
> much as I'd like to see our version of xntpd updated. The xntpd branch
> is still maintained and updated, as recently as 4/27/98 for the most
> recent stable version, and August 10th for the most recent beta.

Well... currently, Dave Mills has stated that they aren't maintaining
xntpd any longer; any updates are through patches they've accepted,
but have not necessarily done testing on. ntpd-4.0.91 appears
sufficiently stable that they're going to make it into ntpd-4.1 and an
official 'release' pretty soon.

	-Allen

--
Allen Smith				easmith@beatrice.rutgers.edu